Beads made from glass have always been in the spotlight since the era of the ancient Egyptians. These were used in jewelry making for the Pharaoh and the royal court attendants as well. Glass beads have got a smooth texture and with their beauty, they enhance the appearance of the person wearing them as well. This is why they were of great importance in the ancient rule. Since then the use of these beads had started and are used still now in creating beautiful crafting projects. Every jewelry maker knows how important they are in creating attractive jewelry thus they always include it in their works.
I am personally a big fan of these beads which is why I am going to share some tips with you in order to choose quality glass beads:
- Visit a local bead store and go through their glass bead collection carefully. You will find that there are tons of different beads in terms of color, shape, sizes and more. The most commonly occurring beads I have seen are the manmade beads.
- Beads made from glass have got various types as they come from different parts of the world. You will have plenty of choices.
- The size of the beads you buy should be appropriate to the requirement of your project. Don’t buy beads that look attractive but have no use in your project.
- The wide range of colors. You will also find lots of shapes in the beads such as shapes of animals, birds, square, round, oval, donut shaped, hex cuts, cubes, triangular, etc.
- Ensure the weight of the bead you are going to buy. The weight should be appropriate for the project you are going to start.
- Don’t miss out the lamp work glass beads. Lamp work beads are similar to the glass beads and are made by hand which is why they are one of the most unique and appealing ones in the entire bead class. You can definitely assume how worthy they are by their prices. Some lamp work beads have got metal inside them making them more durable.
- If you think that buying lamp work beads in bulk is expensive then you can just buy a few and add in along with the other beads to make the jewelry item look beautiful.
- Make sure that the beads made from glass you choose are annealed. This means that the beads should be heated and cooled down in a kiln.
- When you set out to buy the beads you need to trust on the retailer as well.
- If you are looking for the annealed beads then you need to pay attention on the price. If the price is cheap then you should know that they are not annealed.
All of this is from my own experience of buying glass beads and letting you know about this was my duty as I don’t want new passionate jewelry makers to be dragged here and there in search of the right thing.